Wow. An incredible stat for the security market in 2010.
On many levels of FTP or file transfer, this is a staggering number of instances. What file transfer processes are being used to avoid a security breach in your small, medium or large business environment?
Check out the Knowledge Transfer blog on IpswitchÂ File Transfer’sÂ corporate site for more on security breaches in 2010.
- Malicious attacks still account for more breaches than human error, with hacking at 17% and insider theft at 15%
- 39% of listed breaches did not identify the cause â€” Indicating a clear lack of transparency and full reporting to the public
- 49% of breaches did not list number of potentially exposed records â€” A clear sign of inaccuracy and incompleteness of reporting
- 62% of breaches reported exposure of Social Security Numbers
- 26% of breaches involved credit or debit cards
The full blog post from Ipswitch’s Hugh Garber:Â 16,000,000 reported breached records in 2010